This section contains important information about our forward-looking statements. Please also see our annual reports on Form 10-K and quarterly reports on Form 10-Q that we file with the SEC and that you can find on our website by clicking here.
Current Forward-Looking Statement Information
(for communications dated on or after August 1, 2016)
Caution Concerning Forward-Looking Statements:
Our public communications and SEC filings may contain "forward-looking statements" – that is, statements related to future, not past, events. In this context, forward-looking statements often address our expected future business and financial performance and financial condition, and often contain words such as "expect," "anticipate," "intend," "plan," "believe," "seek," "see," "will," "would," or "target."
Forward-looking statements by their nature address matters that are, to different degrees, uncertain, such as statements about our announced plan to reduce the size of our financial services businesses, including expected cash and non-cash charges associated with this plan and earnings per share of GE Capital’s retained businesses (Verticals); expected income; earnings per share; revenues; organic growth; growth and productivity associated with our Digital business; margins; cost structure; restructuring charges; acquisition-related synergies; cash flows; return on capital; capital expenditures, capital allocation or capital structure; dividends; and the split between Industrial and Capital earnings.
For us, particular uncertainties that could cause our actual results to be materially different than those expressed in our forward-looking statements include:
- our ability to complete incremental asset sales as part of our announced plan to reduce the size of our financial services businesses in a timely manner (or at all) and at the prices we have assumed;
- our ability to reduce costs as we execute that plan;
- changes in law, economic and financial conditions, including interest and exchange rate volatility, commodity and equity prices and the value of financial assets, including the impact of these conditions on our ability to execute that plan;
- the impact of conditions in the financial and credit markets on the availability and cost of GE Capital Global Holdings, LLC’s (“GE Capital”) funding, and GE Capital’s exposure to counterparties;
- the impact of conditions in the housing market and unemployment rates on the level of commercial credit defaults;
- pending and future mortgage loan repurchase claims and other litigation claims and investigations in connection with WMC, which may affect our estimates of liability, including possible loss estimates;
- our ability to maintain our current credit rating and the impact on our funding costs and competitive position if we do not do so;
- the amount and timing of our cash flows and earnings and other conditions, which may affect our ability to pay our quarterly dividend at the planned level or to repurchase shares at planned levels;
- GE Capital’s ability to pay dividends to GE at the planned level, which may be affected by GE Capital’s cash flows and earnings, financial services regulation and oversight, and other factors;
- our ability to convert pre-order commitments/wins into orders/bookings;
- the price we realize on orders/bookings since commitments/wins are stated at list prices;
- customer actions or developments such as early aircraft retirements or reduced energy demand and other factors that may affect the level of demand and financial performance of the major industries and customers we serve;
- the effectiveness of our risk management framework;
- the impact of regulation and regulatory, investigative and legal proceedings and legal compliance risks, including the impact of financial services regulation and litigation;
- our capital allocation plans, as such plans may change including with respect to the timing and size of share repurchases, acquisitions, joint ventures, dispositions and other strategic actions;
- our success in completing, including obtaining regulatory approvals for, announced transactions, such as our announced plan and transactions to reduce the size of our financial services businesses;
- our success in integrating acquired businesses and operating joint ventures, including Alstom;
- our ability to realize anticipated earnings and savings from announced transactions, acquired businesses and joint ventures, including Alstom;
- the impact of potential information technology or data security breaches; and
- the other factors that are described in "Risk Factors" in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2015.
These or other uncertainties may cause our actual future results to be materially different than those expressed in our forward-looking statements. We do not undertake to update our forward-looking statements.
Our public communications and SEC filings may include certain forward-looking projected financial information that is based on current estimates and forecasts. Actual results could differ materially.
General Electric Capital Corporation (GECC) has been merged into GE and our financial services business is now operated by GE Capital Global Holdings LLC (GECGH). In our public communications and SEC filings, we refer to GECC and GECGH as “GE Capital”. We refer to the industrial businesses of the Company including GE Capital on an equity basis as “GE”. “GE (ex-GE Capital)” and /or “Industrial” refer to GE excluding GE Capital. Our financial services segment previously referred to as GE Capital is now referred to as Capital.
GE’s Investor Relations website at www.ge.com/investor and our corporate blog at www.gereports.com, as well as GE’s Facebook page and Twitter accounts, contain a significant amount of information about GE, including financial and other information for investors. GE encourages investors to visit these websites from time to time, as information is updated and new information is posted.